Thursday, January 21, 2010

Deeper into Nothing (Technique)

This piece is to show the technique for creating work within my 'Deeper into Nothing' project. In previous texts on this subject I stated that, "...by going deeper into the seeming nothing of the present moment; new things start emerging from what were previously thought to be the most unpromising of areas, while the most promising can turn out to be emptier than at first suspected. Rather than the near certainty of simply finding the already obvious, by giving more time and attention to something overlooked or barely existing potentially discovers something new." With this in mind I picked what must have been one of the most unpromising days for inspiration and good light and on Wednesday 20th January 2010 I set off in dense fog to a forest walk near Crossna, Knockvicar, Co. Roscommon with digital camera in hand. The walk is only an access road for forestry vehicles and not meant to be picturesque. I set myself the task of coming up with a series of photos and a linking theme within 24 hours. Instead of resisting the fog I quickly decided to use it's mysterious aura in most of the photographs. I must have instinctively taken at least four times the amount of photos I finally used in the film. When I got home I studied what I had and slept on it regarding a context for presentation. Looking at them again in the morning I got to thinking about the huge high voltage cables that run through the forest and thought about the effect this may be having on the ecosystem around it. This unseen, perhaps sinister force now began to pervade some of the photos for me and these were the ones I began to use. This is then what the piece is about for me. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but there is something in the air here. Of course this technique is not solely for artists to use, the project is for everyone and about becoming more objective and exploring each moment at it arrives.

Regarding the music, I remembered that in 2008 I had already begun using this minimal counterintuitive 'Deeper into Nothing' type approach when I was trying to make a whole album, to be called what else but, 'Deeper into Nothing'. This project has not been completed to date but as I remember, the piece I found, which I think is very electrical in nature, came from just one sample which I had pushed to its limits.

Stephen Rennicks

No comments:

Post a Comment